On 3 February 2024, the European Space Policy Institute (ESPI) hosted and organised a workshop, in collaboration with the Korean Aerospace Research Institute (KARI), entitled the “ESPI-KARI Workshop on Space Traffic Management Cooperation”. The workshop was a closed-door side event at the margins of the 61st session of the Scientific and Technical Subcommittee of the UN COPUOS and saw representatives from the Republic of Korea and Europe come together to discuss respective regional Space Traffic Management ecosystems.
The Workshop contributed to an ongoing collaborative research project between ESPI and KARI on joint cooperation in the field of STM. The event aimed to elucidate both Korean and European understanding of the driving elements of STM and how to foster international bilateral and multilateral cooperation between the Republic of Korea and Europe.
The participants included:
- Hermann Ludwig Moeller, ESPI
- Marco Aliberti, ESPI
- Mathieu Bataille, ESPI
- Sara Dalledonne, ESPI
- James Francis, ESPI
- Taejin Chang, KARI
- Jongbum Kim, KARI
- Sangwoo Shin, KARI
- Yngvild Linnea Andalsvik, Norwegian Space Agency
- Eunjung Choi, National Radio Research Agency (ROK)
- Aurélie Gillet, EU SST
- Kwanwoo Jung, Ministry of Science and ICT (ROK)
- Sangwook Kang, Embassy of ROK
- Jonghai Oh, Ministry of Science and ICT (ROK)
- Regina Peldszus, European External Action Service
- Jean-Christophe Virieu, European External Action Service
We would like to extend our gratitude to all the Workshop participants for contributing to a lively discussion and opportunity to shed further light on regional complexities and understandings of the topic of STM.
Please find a selection of photos from the Workshop below.